Now that drop.io is dieing, you’ll want to find another way to share your files with others. Of course you can email them, but often these files are large. Plus you may want to share a collection of files, rather than just one or two. That’s where box.net comes in so handy. You can create a box.net account and be sharing with others in minutes!
Here are the 10 steps you’ll need to do to upload and share files with others:
1 Go to www.box.net
2) Choose the FREE, Personal account, and you get the following:
* 5 GB + of web-storage
* 25 MB file size limit
* Simple sharing and collaboration
3) fill out the form with email, password, etc.
4) You’ll receive an email to validate your email address. Click on that link from box.net and log in
5) choose the icon to Create New Folder. Type in the name of your new folder. Choose “JUST ME (keep private for now)” to keeping it hidden until you are ready.
6) Click on the Folder name that you just created, and click the text that says “Or browse for files” to upload all your files to that folder
7) When you’re finished uploading, click “All Files” to go back to the home listing that shows that folder
8) Click the “SHARE” text that’s near your folder, to allow you to share the entire folder.
9) A link will appear that you can COPY (Control+C)
10) EMAIL that link to anyone you want to be able to get all those files within that folder
That’s it, you’re done! Simple, right?!
If you have another conference or group you want to share with, just repeat steps 5-10 again with a new folder name. If you just want to share a couple of files instead of ALL of them in the folder, find the file and click the “SHARE” text next to it. Then copy and paste that link to whomever you want.