Mastering Your Website: Resources
From Pacific New Media class, Mastering Your Website:
Resize your photo: Picasa, Photoshop, and online
If you take a digital photo the size can be too large for a website. You’ll need to typically reduce it down to under 300 pixels.
In Picasa (picasa.google.com), the smallest is 320 pixels, but that might work:
1) highlight the image you wish to resize
2) click Export button
3) change the settings if needed (size and quality)
4) Picasa will export the resized image to the folder you specify
1) open the image you wish to resize
2) go to Image > Image Resize
3) enter in the pixel size you wish
4) Save for Web (or Save As in earlier versions)
If you own XP, here’s a “Power Toy” from Microsoft to do it:
Or, try an online solution at: www.shrinkpictures.com
HMTL help — www.webmonkey.com
HTML Code check — www.netmechanic.com/ — check for download times, links, and valid HTML
AnyBrowser site checker for older HTML compliance.
Watchfire (formally Bobby) to help check with Section 508 compliance.
CPanel example — http://www.bluehost.com –
$6.95/month; Host 6 Domains On 1 Account, Free Domain Name, 200Gb space, Fantastico script installer — automatically install and upgrade WordPress blog, osCommerce e-commerce, and more.
1&1 offers quality hosting of multiple domains, includes free domains; low cost, professional
Advertising On Your Site
Google Adsense — www.google.com/adsense
Amazon Associates — Amazon Affiliates
– Sign up, then paste a bit of HTML code into your site, and start earning some $$.
Submit your site:
• Google — www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
• MSN — beta.search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
• Yahoo — search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html (must be a registered user)
• WebCEO — www.webceo.com/ — free Windows software version available
• Nice overview of various techniques — “The Web Marketing Checklist:32 Ways to Promote Your Website”
• SEO Information — www.seochat.com
• Newsletters / Email – www.whatcounts.com , www.mailermailer.com
• Wear Your Site Logo – www.promopeddler.com, www.4imprint.com
• TrafficSwarm — trafficswarm.com — generate traffic by visiting other people’s sites
Firefox — www.getfirefox.com— highly recommended
- IE Tab — Internet Explorer inside Firefox
- Web Developer — CSS control and more
- FireBug — Additional HTML control
also; IE 6 and 7, Netscape, Opera.
Filezilla — filezilla.sourceforge.net
Dreamweaver — Amazon’s Dreamweaver products (books, software)
Photoshop — Amazon’s Photoshop listings (books, software)
Picasa – picasa.google.com
Monitor Your Website
Having a company quickly tell you if your website is up and running can really help you. Here are some sample companies that provide that service:
Here’s a Windows application that runs on your computer to check your sites automatically: